Monday, February 1, 2010

Domokun cake


Last week my boyfriend and I celebrated our 3rd aniversary together, so I decided to bake a Domokun shaped cake as a present for him (he's such an otaku...XD). Well, here's the final result.


The cake itself was 2 layers of chocolate sponge cake filled with whipped cream and covered with chocolate ganache. I forgot to buy chocolate coated peanuts (conguitos), so I choped hurriedly some leftover chocolate to give it a round shape. I made the mouth with white chocolate and strawberry jam.

Ingredients:

250g cake flour
200g caster sugar
225g butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 big eggs
2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanila extract

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven at 180ÂșC and grease and flour a baking tray with butter.
  2. Mix together the softened butter and the sugar until fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs one at time until well mixed. Add the warm water and the vanila.
  4. In another bowl sieve together the flour, salt, cocoa and baking powder.
  5. Add half of the flour mixture to the rest of the ingredients. Mix until well combined and then add the other half.
  6. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
As I used sweet cocoa powder I filled the cake with pure whipped cream and made the chocolate ganache with bitter chocolate. For the ganache I followed this recipe, only that was careful to not use any metal spoons or bowls to make it as they'd have given a metallic taste to the chocolate.

My boyfriend loved the cake, he said it was delicious! ^^ (not that he had any other option XD).

No comments:

Post a Comment