Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Strawberry muffins



The firsts strawberries of the season are here, but they're still small and not very tasty, so eating them with whipped cream is out of the question. Then, what can I do with them? Muffins!!!
I can't remember where I found this recipe, as it has been a long time since then, but it's one of my favorites. I usually add a lot of white chocolate, chopped, but this time I went for the plain strawberry ones because the package I bought was too big and I don't want them to go to waste (nor that I used all of them, I still have to think what to do with the rest of the strawberries). Probably I'll "have to" make a strawberry chiffon, but that's another story.
I didn't have much time, so I put all the mixture in my 6 muffin pan and baked it. As a result, the muffins were enormous and just one is enough for breakfast.They are quite dense but also very tasty ^^


Ingredients:

For the cover:
45g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
30g butter at room temperature
For the muffins:
2 eggs
105g butter at room temperature
185g white sugar
360g all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
250ml milk
1 & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
185g strawberries

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven at 190ºC.
  2. Grease the bottom of the mould with butter.
  3. First of all, we make the cover. Mix together all its ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  4. Now the muffins: sieve flour, baking powder and salt together, set aside too.
  5. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  6. Add one egg; mix well. Add the other egg and mix.
  7. Add half of the flour and mix again until well blended (be careful to make sure that it has no air bubbles).
  8. Pour the milk and the vanilla extract.
  9. Then, add the other half of the flour and mix until it's uniform.
  10. Now add the strawberries (chopped into small bits).
  11. Pour the batter into the mould. Tap the mould lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter (don't fill all the moulds, only 3/4 of them).
  12. Dust the muffins with the cover made in step 3. 
  13. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 190ºC for 20-25 minutes (in the middle shelf) or until the muffins surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  14. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before unmoulding.

No comments:

Post a Comment