Monday, May 9, 2011

Arroz con leche



"Arroz con leche" means literally "rice with milk" and is typical from the spanish cuisine. I've done this dessert many times, but yesterday was the first time that I made it with freshly milked milk. My boyfriend's mother got me some from a neighbourg of hers who has a cowfarm :-) There's no comparison to the making it with the brand one that you buy in supermarkets. The result has a way richer flavour and is cooked faster than with the watered product that is sold in the stores.

You need patience to make the arroz con leche because it's a slow proccess. I usually need around 45 minutes to get the desired texture of it, but if you like it more liquid it'll take less, of course. Anyway, the result it's well worth of your time ^^

This recipe has the proportions I prefer of milk, rice and sugar, but some people may prefer it denser or sweeter or the contrary. I got these proportions after trying many times, so finding the ones that fits your taste better its just a matter of trial and error. With this recipe you get 3 servings (I allways make it for my parent and I ^^U).

Ingredients:

75ml milk
80g rice
60g white sugar
1/2 lemon's zest
1/2 cinnamon stick
Cinnamon powder (for decorating)

Method:

  1. In a saucepan, heat the milk with the lemon zest and the cinnamon stick until it boils.
  2. Add the rice to the milk and stir regulary over medium heat until the rice is cooked.
  3. Add the sugar to the rice with milk and keep stirring regulary until the milk becomes denser.
  4. Remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon zest and serve the arroz con leche in individual platings decorated with some cinnamon powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment